Thursday, February 21, 2013

February 16, 2013 - Hi, y'all!


Hi Mom, Hi Dad, Hi Ryan, Hi Y’all!

                Well, to start off, we had to wonderful opportunity to hear from not 1 but 2 general authorities today! The first one being Elder Nielson of the Philippines Area Presidency, and then Elder Allen F. Packer of the Seventy; the executive director of family history. And of course we heard from their wives as well, and they were all great speakers. I just want to share a few things with you. First, in Elder Neilson’s opening remarks, he said that family history is just booming throughout the world. 1.7 million names a day are being digitized and processed in Family History website of the church. One of the reasons why Elder Packer was here was because he and his team have come to digitize the national records of the Philippines. Which means that family history work for Filipinos is going to be much easier with all of the new records they are adding to the website. It’s super exciting especially for completing families! 4.7 million names have already been added.

                Sister Packer talked about the desire to be a better missionary every day. Because, of course, we all have things to work on. But she said that if we are not striving to change ourselves for the better every day, if we do not have the goal to be better tomorrow than we are today, then we are not fully living our potential. At least that is what I got out of it. The Spirit was the main topic and how “exact obedience” is key to keeping the Spirit with you at all times. Which is totally true! D&C 84:82, “I the Lord am bound when ye do what I say, but when ye do not what I say, ye have no promise.” Prospective missionaries… memorize and live this! You will be so much happier on your mission, trust me. Yes, that means, Obedience=Spirit=Happiness.

                Elder Packer gave a really great interpretation on the focus on missionary work in John 15:16 (I invite you to read and ponder it). I volunteered to read the scripture…to my surprise he had me stand for like 15 minutes as we dissected this scripture just to read small parts of it between his discourses. So, of course, I felt weird standing the whole time but it was interesting to hear his talk. He then further went on to invite us to ask the right questions when praying to the Lord. He asked us to pray for confirmation as to whether or not we’re supposed to be in our areas, and if our companions are who God wants to be our companions. So it was great!
               
Saturday was basically the worst day ever. I mean okay, being able to hear the talks of two general authorities and their wives were great but then after that it all went downhill. So, we had to go back to the office to get an elder’s support card that I forgot to get to him after the meeting so that took like half an hour to get there and back. Then while going to lunch I was going to pull into a small parking lot in front of a store. I signaled and found a space so I went to turn in, but there was another guy and he didn’t stop and we collided. I can’t say it’s not my fault, but I can’t say it wasn’t his fault either. The fact of the matter was neither of us stopped and so we hit each other. And I spent most of my day at the police station filling out a police report.  >.<  It was the scariest thing ever. No one was hurt. The truck only got a scratch but the other guy had his light taken out and his front bumper smashed. It was really all cause I made a bad judgment call. Basta, I called the people at the Area office as soon as I could and they sent some people to help us. So, after all that fiasco the guy didn’t press charges and everything is okay for the most part. The church workers told me that everything is fine and the insurance will cover all of the damage costs and that I should be more careful next time.  Then we went to the office to try to email you all but the lds email was down for maintenance all day. Then I tried to copy pictures and got a virus on my SD card and my back up USB, which is killing me right now because I’m afraid I’ll lose all my pictures soon. I was super stressed and was about to tear someone’s head off so I went into one of the separate rooms and started praying. I really didn’t want to go out and teach that night because of everything that happened but I told the Lord I’d serve him even if all of these horrible things happened today. So we went out to work and got punted all night…. Sad day.

To brighten things up, I remembered the words from Sister Packer which said “we should strive to be better missionaries tomorrow than we are today.” So I thought about that and dedicated myself to improving myself each day. I was just thinking that, you know, the Lord knows I wanted to do that, so He brought me so low on Saturday so I’d have an easy place to start progressing and changing myself from. Haha! Just looking on the positive side. Anyway, everything is okay now.

Yesterday I learned something very interesting. And it was about teaching with the Spirit. We had some missionaries with us who were American but going to the India mission. So they did not speak much Tagalog but they went to teach with us until their plane came. Anyway, they spoke mostly English when they taught, but nonetheless when they spoke the investigators listened, and when they taught, the Spirit flooded the room and it was very interesting for me to see. I was worried so much about my language and whether or not they understand me and worried not enough about the language of the Spirit which can speak to all hearts in all tongues. It helped me refocus my efforts as a missionary. Not just teaching, but to teach with the Spirit. Not to speak much, but to say more by saying less.

Okay, I know it’s late so I'll say goodnight to you now. Thank you for staying up with me! You have been of such comfort and help today. I love you all! ^_^ Hoping you are all doing great and I hope you have a good week!

Doing you Proud,
Elder Froude ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment