Tuesday, May 22, 2012

May 21, 2012 – Bad week, Good week…Depends on your Attitude

So, last week was Mother's Day!  I feel so grateful to have been able to Skype my family for a little bit.  I even saw my new niece, Laney, for the first time!!!  We have this special connection because she was born the day I left for the Philippines.  Haha!  Anyway, it was a great and an emotional day for us all.  It did refresh me as a missionary to go about and work harder!  But it was afterwards that I began to face new stresses of the week.

Truthfully, the beginning of this week has been one of the most stressful I've faced since I got here.  I received letters/emails from home, some had good news, others not so good news.  But the main thing was that I was so worried for my friends and family back home and feeling helpless with me being across the world.  It was at the back of my mind for some time now.  Also, many of the people we are teaching aren't really progressing so much. Basically, I was focusing too much on the negative things so it made me quite depressed for a little while.  But then I remembered what President Stott, my branch president at the MTC said.  He said, “When times get hard, pray Harder!"  And so I have and it’s been giving me so much strength as of late. :)  I've also been reading for my own comfort and counsel. Haha! I made myself my own investigator and asked myself what would I tell someone who is feeling this way.  It worked so well!  Especially with D&C 100:1; “Verily, thus saith the Lord unto you, my friends Sidney and Joseph, your families are well; they are in mine hands, and I will do with them as seemeth me good; for in me there is all power.”   and D&C 101:12; “And in that day all who are found upon the watch-tower, or in other words, all mine Israel, shall be saved.”  That gave me much strength this week. It's amazing to me, the power of prayer, how there are many blessings the Lord is willing to give you if you but ask. When I was feeling weak and down on myself, I turned to prayer and the Lord granted me peace of heart and strength to continue the work. ^_^  For that I am Grateful.

On the bright side!  We have two potential baptisms this Saturday!!! Brother Israel Pallisigue and Sister Mae Rose Gomez. They are both part-member families that were previously less active families.  So, by teaching the spouses of these two families, we've not only reactivated them, but have them set on the road to be sealed as a family in the temple for all time and eternity!  ^_^  YES!!!  I'm looking forward to that this week.  And a nap later today.  I need a nap. I woke up at 3:20 this morning to get to the church at 4:15 to get a jeepney to the temple by 5:30...so I am tired... *yawn*  It's been also stressful getting everything ready for their baptisms.  Planning the speakers and getting dates set up and interviews…

Me and my new companion, Elder Barrow
 Highlights of this week all involve the temple:

Temple Tour

Temple tour is a day where the Mission is assigned to bring investigators to the temple to feel the spirit and learn more about Families.  We brought many of our investigators and recent converts there and we toured the temple outside and had missionaries from another zone give them information at different stations.  It worked really well with a friend of the Arduos, Sister Remy.  She's our newest investigator and we're really working with her. She felt the spirit so strong there I think we may be on to something.  Her kids really want to go back!  Haha!  We also brought our other investigator, Janine, and her member friend, Sister Nudo.  Janine's a tough situation because she has a testimony but her parents are hardcore Catholic and say they will disown her if she gets baptized. But she's 19.

Visitor Center, Manila Philippines Temple
With our investigator, Janine
In front of the temple with some of our investigators

I met your friends, Mom, at temple tour!  While I was waiting for the Arduos I was just playing with some of the kids at the steps of the temple and it came to pass that someone tapped my shoulder and said...Elder Froude?  And I said, Yes?  I turned around and this lady said...”Oh my gosh, you look just like your mother!”  And I replied, “Oh my gosh, you know my mom?!”  She and her husband said that they knew you from a long time ago and that Mama was a witness at their temple marriage!  Or something of the sort.  Then, I got their names and took a picture with them and they went into the temple.  BEST DAY EVER!!!

Edna and Ramon Berino...my mom's youth leaders when she was a teenager
Temple Day

Oh, Oh!!!  Today was our Zone's Temple day.  And as we went out of the temple we went across the street to the Deseret Bookstore.  Then, along with some church officials, I saw Elder Russell M. Nelson walk up the stairs as Elder Barrow and I came up to it.  We both stopped dead in our tracks and my heart skipped a beat as I realized I was in the presence of an Apostle of God!  I froze but he saw us and walked right up to us with this group of people and he shook our hands!!!  AHHH!!!!! He said, "Sure glad to be here with you, Elders." and went about his business.  Best Day Ever!!!

I was finally able to go to the post office this week so I sent a few letters.  Yes, they are on their way now!  I'm sorry it's so late!

Heard Taylor Swift songs playing at the Jollibee on Monday.  Elder Hilbert and I looked at each other and laughed!  We both love Taylor Swift.

So, I’ve been praying and fasting really hard about Tagalog and it’s been paying off.  Lately I've been just having this desire to speak Tagalog whenever I can.  So I can get the hang of it. I've been seeing a great increase in my confidence and understanding ability with it. I'm becoming more comfortable speaking! Last Sunday, someone was talking to me in just Tagalog and I was replying back like it was nothing and I was so happy about that! Yes!!!  I'm just worried sometimes I'll misunderstand something and go on for 5 minutes about a subject they're not talking about. Haha!  But I’m getting there, I’m getting there….

So, this is my email for you all this week.  Enjoy!   Alright…Elder Barrow and I will need to get going and shop for everything for this week.  Thank you so much po!  Mahal Kita!!!  Tell Ryan I'm proud of his performance and can't wait to watch them when I get back.  Oh, and tell him to write me back!

By the way, you all made the prayer roll in the Manila Philippines Temple today ;)  Love you… Bye!!!

Doing you Proud,
-Elder Froude ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment