Thursday, April 18, 2013

April 5, 2013 - I'm transferring!!!

Dear Mom, Dad, Ryan, and all my friends and family,

                Well the craziness continues…. My replacement has come in on Wednesday.  Elder Cox from Morgan, Utah.  He’s 6’4” and he’s super hilarious.  He’s only been in the mission for 3 transfers so far, about 4 and a half months, and now he’s going to be the new Finance Secretary.  He’s overwhelmed, of course; there is a lot to learn and not a lot of time to learn it in.  So I’m trying to teach him as much as I can but make sure that he can retain it all.  Fortunately, I’ve taken care of most of the problems that we’ve been facing so far, so he’ll be able to have some time to adjust before he gets hit with the hard stuff.  I’ll most likely be called in to spend another day or two after I transfer to finish training him. Things have been so busy lately we’ve been on the road most of the time and not so much in the office.
Like for example on Tuesday, we spent the entire day after lunch at the LTO (Philippines DMV) helping Ben and Sister DeLaMare get his license.  Which took like 4 hours of waiting in a room with like a hundred people and no air conditioning. The weather is getting very hot very fast.  I’m not so excited now to be going out to the Field in the middle of Philippines summer.  Anyway, after that I was just setting everything up for Elder Cox for when he gets in.

Training the Last few days has been good.  Yesterday, though we went to get Elder Cox his license, which is a lot easier than Ben’s because we just need to convert his existing driver’s license to a Philippines one.  Because here in the Philippines, if you have an American license, you are over-qualified to drive here. Haha!!!.  But unfortunately, when we were getting Elder Cox’s eye’s checked, I found out that he is legally blind in one eye, so the physician sent us to the hospital to get a doctor to approve his sight for driving.  So we spent a long time driving to the hospital, got him the letter that approves him to drive, went back to the physician and then over to the LTO and, lo and behold, it was already closed!  We missed it by 15 minutes!!!  >.<   Sayang naman!!!  (Too bad!)   Anyway, we were quite upset about that, but through all of the driving we learned a lot about each other, and had so much fun!  Haha!!!   We had a great conversation about families and how much way more we appreciate them now than before.  I mean, I started to think about it, and all of my life I’ve had a loving family who supported me in everything I did, and of course we would have our rough times.  But rough times here involve people living in houses as big as my bathroom, or family members being sent to jail or killed on the street.  Or that even strong members of the church would be fighting over whether or not their child should go on a mission because they need help providing for the family (it is a very cultural thing that when you are old enough, you get a job and help provide for the family), in which case some families disown their kids for choosing to serve God.  My companion is the only active member in his family, and everyone was against him serving a mission.  He’s the 2nd youngest of 7 and everyone is of a different faith, and both of his parents are dead.  But he’s still here serving strong.  I know he will receive a hundred fold for his sacrifice.  Just being in the Philippines, it makes all the worries or problems I have seem so miniscule in comparison.  I realize then that I have been so blessed in my life.  I think everyone should live in a third world country for a good long while in order to appreciate what they really have and realize that no hardship we face is anything in comparison to living by the day and not knowing whether or not you’ll have food for tomorrow, or living in a room big enough for everyone to sleep laying side by side. 

                In other craziness, Transfer week starts on Monday!!!  Luckily, I’ll only deal with it until Wednesday afternoon when I finally go back to the Field!  I have no idea where I’m going yet.  I’ll let you know next week.  Haha!  Probably on a Monday.  Oh!  In other news, Elder Stoddard is also transferring! Which means that there will be a new Assistant to the President.  We called him earlier today…it is....*drumroll* …Elder WILDE!!!  My batch at the MTC!  He’s going to be the new assistant.  Good on him!  The funny part is that he is Elder Cox’s Trainer so they are so excited to be kabahay (housemates) again!  Haha!  It was a funny call because he was freaking out.  Haha!!!

                I’ve been reading Jesus the Christ and the New Testament lately and I had a very interesting reading of the parable of the talents.  How the Master gave one servant 5 talents, the second servant 2 talents and the third servant 1 talent, and he went on his way.  When he came back the 1st servant brought back 5 talents and was made a lord over many things, the 2nd servant brought back four talents and was made a lord over many things, and the last servant brought back the same 1 talent that he hid and the Master chastised him and called him a slothful servant.  Then it came to me that the first servant and the 2nd servant both got the same exact blessing even though one earned more than the other.  But the point was that the both of them did the best with what they started with and made more with it.  Double for the both of them, and they both received the same praise and the same blessing. This means to me that even though you may not have the most opportunities or the most talents or circumstances, if you make the best with it and do all you can, the Lord will bless you as much as the elect of the earth, who started out with more.  So let us remember that no matter our circumstances, if we do our best, we can receive the best of all blessings.  It is not about how much you make, but what you can do with what you have.

Well, I do believe I have made a decision, and I’ll talk about it with the new mission president, but I’ve decided that I'll be going to school in January and being home for Christmas break will be a perfect way to adjust back to the real world, di'ba?  Anyway, that is how I feel right now and is the path I will be following.  I’ll serve the Lord the rest of my life, I’ve already promised Him that, so I should pursue this course.

Well thank you for again staying up with me to chat.  I love you all so much!  I love you and appreciate how our home is a shelter from the storm.  But I have to go now and give others a chance to email.  ^_^  You all are the best!  I wish you all a great week and hope that you will magnify your talents and bless the lives of others.

Doing You Proud,
Elder Froude ^_^

Philippine fruits
Seafood dinner with our ward Missionary Leader
Elder Cox, on the right, is my replacement
My old MTC buddies, Elder Rakuro and Elder McCoy
6'4 Elder Cox and me
Elder Cox getting his eyes checked


No comments:

Post a Comment