Thursday, August 8, 2013

August 4, 2013 – I Know That My Redeemer Lives

Dear Mom, Dad, Ryan (the soon to be elder), and everyone who considers laughing an abdominal exercise,

Okay so first of all the shift key on this keyboard sticks so it will be hard to capitalize things that I want to capitalize.... English majors, please forgive me.  (Elder Froude’s mother naturally fixed them before posting this.)

Awesome news!   Brother Rodel's kids are going to be baptized this Saturday, which makes 3 coming up! Since he has the Aaronic priesthood now he can baptize his kids. The other elders also have 3 baptisms coming up so we'll have 6 baptisms in Teresa Branch this Saturday!!!  WoHOHOO!!!  Their names are Jay-R, Jay-M, and Rose Ann Venadas.  It's been a really tender moment thing teaching those kids because none of them have school education and it takes them a while to understand things.  But recently we've been teaching them about the commandments and they have been able to absorb information a lot faster now and even remember things we’ve taught since the beginning.  They are excited when we come by and even try to yell out answers before we even say anything.  Haha!  Anyway, we were teaching them about tithing and I was kind of hesitant about it at first because they don't know how to read let alone calculate 10% of your paycheck and such. Anyway, we went into the lesson and tried to have them say “sampung porciento” correctly.  Haha!  It took a while but they got it.  I got this brilliant idea on how to teach tithing.  I told them that if you get 10 pesos, you pay 1 peso for tithing.  Then I took out a 50 peso bill.  Then I said, if you have 50 pesos, how much is your tithing?  1 peso!  No…what you have to do is take out the 0 and then you can figure out how to pay tithing.  I then covered the 0 on the 50 and said... what number you see.  5!  So then how much is the tithing... 5 pesos! And that worked!  They understood it.  So I pulled out a 20 and did the same thing.  They caught on so quickly it amazed me!  The Spirit was really working with them and we've been seeing a steady increase in their ability to retain knowledge.  It's been really sweet and now they are getting baptized.  That will be sweeter!

Last Thursday, we worked with a branch missionary named Jeff.  We surprisingly got 5 lessons that day and had a great last lesson. We taught Brother Joseph's family (he is 15 years old).  At first when we got there, no one was home.  But we waited and we saw him and his girlfriend walking up the street towards us.  Next his Mom also came from the other direction.  So we invited them to listen to us and we all went inside their house.  Now Joseph acts like a kid sometimes and my companion wanted me to lead because he didn't like Joseph's nonchalant attitude towards us.  So I started the lesson about prayer.  Brother Jeff shared a scripture and I kind of more focused the lesson on his mom.  After that the Spirit was able to come into the room even though I could feel Joseph didn't want to be there.  But then halfway through the lesson he began to participate and so did his girlfriend and it ended up being a nice lesson.  We ended with a thought about how important it is to communicate with our Father in heaven. Everyone felt good afterwards.

The next best thing was when I interviewed Elder Bagonbon’s and Elder Robertson’s potential baptism, Nanay Merci.  Elder Robertson always talked about how ready she is to be baptized and such and so I was excited to meet her.  This would be the 2nd time I would meet her.  Anyway, so we did the baptismal interview at her house because she is handicapped from the waist down and can't come to the church too often.  Well, when I interviewed her I felt her sincere desire to repent and the Spirit that radiated from that room was super strong.  There were many things she wished to be forgiven of and so when I bore my testimony of the Atonement of Jesus Christ and the power of repentance, it made things even more indescribable… there was so much joy and hope.  Elder Robertson and I then sang “I Know That My Redeemer Lives.”  While were singing, Nanay Merci started crying and then Elder Robertson started crying as well.  It made me start to choke up but I knew I needed to keep singing till the song was over.  The love in the room was super strong!  And at the end of the song there was not a dry eye in the room.  It was a sweet moment that I'll never forget.

How about you?  How was your week?  I wish you all the best and I can't wait to see you all soon!  I miss you too and love you all soo much!  Talk to you next week!

Doing you Proud,
Elder Froude ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment